Life After College, What’s Next?

So, I’ve finally finished my Art Foundation Course! Not only has this past year been one of the most stressful years yet, it also changed a lot of things.
 Let’s take it back to the start, ever since I was about 8 I’ve loved everything to do with fashion. I was obsessed with dressing up, swapping all the clothes on my Bratz dolls and making my halloween costumes. My dad was always very artistic and always taught me new ways to draw, I think that’s why I loved it so much!
By the age of 13 I had my whole life planned out, what GCSE options I was going to take, what college I was going to, what A level courses I wanted to do, I’d even chose a university! Moving to London to study Fashion Design with Marketing in Central St. Martins was my dream!
I finished my GCSE’s, got into the college I wanted to go to and near the end of me completing my A Levels, it was time to apply for university, but now the idea of actually leaving everything behind and going to fend for myself in London scared the shit out of me. I didn’t want to leave home just yet, but I definitely wanted to go to university. So I applied for the art foundation course in the college I was already studying at. It is one of the worst decisions I ever made.
At first, the Art Foundation course sounded perfect. I didn’t want to go to uni just yet but I didn’t want to have a gap year either. So getting an extra qualification in something I loved seemed perfect, but I was wrong. This year changed everything for me, I now hate the thought of doing fashion design in university – i’ve lost interest altogether. I think the thing that put me off the most was the teachers, oh they were horrible. I just didn’t want to go anymore, I didn’t want to be anywhere near them. But I couldn’t waste the year so I just got on with it and got all my work done, got my exhibition up and proved a lot of people wrong. I’m currently waiting for my results (July 13th) and hopefully I pass, but we’ll just have to wait and see.
And so that brings me to where I am now, I’ve finished college and have absolutely no idea what I want to do next. I’d love to be able to do blogging full time as I absolutely love it, but wouldn’t we all?! I’m also going to teach myself Spanish and focusing on improving my digital drawings as I also love doing those! (The one above is of the beautiful Katie).
But, since I have no idea what I want to do next I’m going to focus on working and saving money so that I can travel and hopefully somewhere along the way I’ll figure out what my dream job is!
What’s your dream job? Let me know in the comments!

1. June 23, 2017 / 7:38 pm

I'm so sorry this year hasn't turned out the way you wanted it to! I still have two years left of my five year uni degree, feels like such a long time!! x

2. June 23, 2017 / 7:38 pm

3. June 23, 2017 / 7:50 pm

It's so sad you were deterred from your passion. I went to uni and studied drama and Theatre arts. I developed an interest in lighting and backstage work and I did love it but knew what I wanted to do was travel so I now am travelling the world doing jobs that aren't related to my degree but I don't regret doing the course. Maybe one day I'll use it.

4. June 23, 2017 / 7:50 pm

5. June 23, 2017 / 8:09 pm

I'll be starting Uni next year and I know I want to study design. My dream job is to be either an interior designer or graphic designer. I'm sorry that the course put you off something you really felt passionate about but I'm sure everything will fall into place soon enough! AnnieChanie

6. June 23, 2017 / 8:09 pm

7. June 23, 2017 / 9:25 pm

It's good you have a year to focus on getting on with things you want & just remember this is only really the first few years of the rest of your life, you can do whatever you want with it! It's your life! ☺️☺️☺️

8. June 23, 2017 / 9:25 pm

9. June 23, 2017 / 9:28 pm

It took me a while to settle on a choice after college, I did fashion and clothing design. Then went to uni to do costume design. Left after 3 months as i hated it. Had a year out took a short course in photography before starting my photography degree. I am now a medical photographer and I love it. But it wasn't an easy ride getting here. Don't feel pressured or rushed into uni or further courses. Just work out what's right for you first.

10. June 23, 2017 / 9:28 pm

11. June 24, 2017 / 4:15 am

Congratulations!!✨ At least you can say you're ready for the next step! That is my goal in taking a gap year. I really want to figure out what it is I truly want to do & what I am capable of doing. My dream job is to blog full time! I'd also like to run my own online shop.

Great post💕
    -Courtney (www.thecurlyanomaly.com)

12. June 24, 2017 / 4:15 am

Great post💕
    -Courtney (www.thecurlyanomaly.com)

13. June 24, 2017 / 12:08 pm

Well done for finishing your course! it sounds like it would be very hard, but well done for doing it! I finish uni next year and I think I am going to feel so lost! but it is so exciting that you have to think about what you are doing to do next. I would love to blog full time aswell, but I also want to go into acting like on TV and Theatre 🙂

Sophia

Sophiaaaxo.com

14. June 24, 2017 / 12:08 pm

Sophia

Sophiaaaxo.com

15. June 24, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Good on you for finishing your course, it must have been so difficult! I'm going to study Journalism in Glasgow this september and my dream job would probably be a magazine columnist or something like that! Blogging full time would also be amazing too x

16. June 24, 2017 / 12:35 pm

17. June 25, 2017 / 7:38 pm

Girl I feel for this post so much! I had the exact same dilemma last year when I was going to go to uni to study law and then I decided it wasn't actually for me! It took me several months to sort my shit out by I've now got a job in digital marketing and I couldn't be happier! It's incredibly cliche, but things will work out as they're meant to in the end xx

18. June 29, 2017 / 9:25 am

It can be hard leaving college and deciding what you want to do, I didn't go to Uni and I don't regret it, it's just not for me, but most people go and absolutely love it, they come out with great grades and amazing memories, don't put too much pressure on yourself to decide, just go with what you think it best.

I can relate to this because I loved photography in high school so I went to college to study it further but my teaches were horrible and I hated the class I was in apart from a couple of good friends I made. It made going everyday so much harder, I ended up hating photography, the teachers were mean about everyones work and they had they're favourites so they would criticise my work all the time. Photography can be a hard subject to judge just like art and all the creative subjects because everyone's style and taste is different.

I knew I never wanted to study photography again, I still love it now, but I love being able to do what I want with it and when I want. Theres no structure and I love picking up camera and sharing my images on my blog with no one telling me that's crap and I've taken a photo the wrong way.

I hope you figure out what you want to do

Chloe x

19. June 29, 2017 / 1:23 pm

That's such a shame that things didn't go the way you wanted them to or at least expected them to. But just seeing you being able to pull through and finally get where you are now and have completed the year, is such an achievement in itself. This post is somewhat inspiring lovely! xx

sami // samiyah.co.uk

20. July 5, 2017 / 11:34 pm

It always stinks to find out that you didn’t want to do what you always thought, but at least you found out early on and have time to find out what you really want to do. I think it’s great that you’re taking a year for yourself – I’ll be graduating uni next year and I’d like to do the same. Best of luck to you!

Jaycee | anthropolojay.com

21. TO be honest it’s so hard to know what you want to do after uni. Like, how come can you know what you want to do for the 75 remaining years of your life? Best of luck for the future! hope you get to travel a lot xx corinne