Turning Twenty | Blogmas Day One

Twenty me growing up

So, it is officially the 1st of December. The first day of blogmas and my birthday!! Today I turn 20!!! I have been going on about my birthday forever, I love birthdays! But one thing I wasn’t looking forward to is turning twenty.

hated the thought of turning twenty, it terrified me. I’m no longer a teenager, being twenty means you’ve got your whole life together, right? Wrong. The more I thought about it, the more turning twenty didn’t bother me. Who cares if I haven’t got my whole life sorted out? After all I am only twenty and I’ve achieved and overcome a lot in my twenty  years of life.

Me fam young twenty

I’ve learnt a lot about myself this year, I’m a lot stronger than I thought I was. I’ve been through a hell of a lot but I’ve always came out stronger. Losing my dad is one of the things that shaped me the most, it changed my perspective on everything. I matured a lot at a young age. It also took a while for me to realise the difference between family & relatives and friends & acquaintances. It’s okay to get rid of toxic people, it’s okay to end one sided relationships and its okay to stop wasting your energy on people who don’t deserve it. That’s something I finally learnt this year. I’m so lucky to be surrounded by the people I have around me, I have the best family and friends.

On terms of achievements, there is quite a few things I am proud of. I finished my GCSES with all A*-C grades, I completed my A Levels with A-C grades & I’ve got a foundation diploma in Art & Design. For someone who hated college and made every excuse possible not to go, I am so proud that I achieved what I wanted to achieve. Although I decided against uni and completely changed my mind on my career half way through the course (you can read about that here) I stuck it out and finished it and I am definitely proud of that.

My career was always my number one priority so coming to a dead end and having no idea what I wanted to do really hit me hard. However, I now have the chance to find myself properly and follow my passions. For example digital drawings, I don’t know where I want to go with it, I just know I love doing them. Makeup, I’ve always had a passion for makeup and would absolutely love to do a makeup course but with both things its a case of sucking it up and growing the balls to put myself out there, which I’m still learning to do.

Bday twenty

Another thing I’m proud of is my blog. I love having my own little space on the internet where I can ramble about whatever the hell I like. I’ve had some amazing opportunities through my blog, which I never dreamed of getting. I’ve travelled up the country to meet people I’ve never ever met before, that’s something else I’m proud of! Some of the girls I’ve met through blogging are now some of my best friends and I don’t know what I’d do without them.

My health has been up and down a lot this year resulting in me not being able to drive. So I haven’t achieved that goal yet, but I will one day. This also taught me to be spontaneous with things, you never know what is around the corner so just suck it up and do it! You’ll only regret it if you don’t.

I’ve travelled, I’ve been to places I’ve always wanted to go. I’ve been able to buy things I’ve always dreamed of owning, I’ve pushed myself out of my comfort zone, I’ve tried new things, I’ve learnt new techniques, I’ve made new friends and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been! If being 20 is going to be half as good as being 19 was, then bring it on!

Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin

1. December 3, 2017 / 10:39 am

I looooove that this is part of your blogmas! I adore all the Christmas posts but it’s so refreshing to read something different!
    Your dad would be so proud of the amazing women you’ve become lovely, I’m so happy to know you, and to have met you, and being in your 20’s isn’t all that bad I suppose…none of us have our lives figured out, so don’t worry haha!

2. shaunaclairesop
    December 3, 2017 / 5:51 pm

I felt like this when I turned 20 too but you have your whooooole life ahead of you and it’s going to be such an amazing journey!! Loved reading about everything you’ve done and achieved, and know you’ll achieve so much more in the next 20!

Shauna | http://diariesofadramatic.com

3. December 3, 2017 / 7:41 pm

I turn 20 in March and I’ve totally been feeling this way, but it’s so helpful to read a post like this and realise that it only means there’s good things to come! It sounds like you’ve achieved so much so far, I’m sure you’re gonna be even more amazing next year x

4. December 3, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Happy Birthday for the 1st!! Turning 20 is definitely a big change but apart from still not really having my life together at 28 I promise it only gets better. Like you said one of the main things I’ve learnt is to not waste my energy on people who don’t deserve it and it makes life so much happier and easier. I’m sure 21 will be just as fun! xx

5. December 3, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Well, Happy Birthday then! I turned 20 just before moving to New Zealand and my 20th year was an absolute blast! I had no idea what I wanted to do but decided to make the most of life anyway! xx corinne

6. December 3, 2017 / 9:21 pm

It sounds like you’ve done phenomenally well so congratulations on all of your achievements this year… the universe will take you in the right direction, you need only go with the flow a little and I’m sure you’ll find your place xx

Shevy

7. December 3, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Happy belated! I turned 24 in October and girl, DO. NOT. SWEAT. IT! It’s absolutely okay to not have a plan and it’s hard but try your best to get rid of the notion that you need have your shit together when you’re in your 20s. I was on the same boat as you – stressing about my future, school, career, etc. that it made me anxious, stressed and unhappy. I’m almost halfway through my 20s and trust me, it’s a great adventure and don’t stress over those little things. Everything will come together! I thought I wanted a HR career for the rest of my life, but I’m slowly leaning towards social media/digital marketing.

Enjoy your 20s!

8. December 3, 2017 / 10:02 pm

Happy belated birthday! I remember having the same feelings about turning 20. It felt so “old” at the time. I remember thinking… 20 is just 5 years from 25, and another 5 from there to 20, then before I know it ten years later, I’m forty- and I felt like I was spiraling too fast toward eventual old age and death. But now that I’m in my forties, I realize how ridiculous all of that was. You may not have it all figured out, but you definitely have a lot more maturity and perspective than I did at 20. Thanks for the positive post!